Menu

Hiding boot target & options screen

2018-04-15
2018-05-03
  • Jordan Knott

Jordan Knott - 2018-04-15
    • I've tried looking online but I couldn't find an answer. Is there a way to hide the boot target & options screen that comes after selecting a OS to boot into?

• mfvianna

mfvianna - 2018-04-30

Not sure if I understood your question, but rEFInd doesn't show a "Boot target & options" screen after selecting a OS. Sounds like rEFInd is loading another boot loader when you are selecting an entry (like loading GRUB from Refind).

• Roderick W. Smith

There is a boot options screen that appears if you hit F2, Insert, or Tab at the main menu, but this screen should not appear if you hit Enter to boot the OS.

If you hit Enter, a screen may appear that shows the options that are being used to boot the OS. This can be disabled by setting the use_graphics_for option in refind.conf; if it's disabled, the screen will instead clear to the background color, showing no information about the boot process.

It's also possible that you're seeing a secondary boot loader. If you launch GRUB, for instance, a GRUB menu may appear; and if you launch Windows, you'll see whatever options the Windows boot loader presents. You can tell what you're launching by examining the description that appears beneath the icons when you highlight a boot loader icon. For instance, if it reads Boot boot\vmlinuz from 62 GiB ext4 volume, that means the option is booting a Linux kernel (vmlinuz) directly; but if it reads Boot EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi from ESP, then it's booting via Ubuntu's GRUB. (Both these diagnoses assume the boot loader is sensibly named. There are cases when this might not be the case.)