Menu

Launchy won't scan bookmarks html file

Help
rfast10430
2010-08-14
2016-12-12
  • rfast10430

rfast10430 - 2010-08-14

I created a directory and exported Firefox's bookmarks as an html file into it. 
    Then I added that directory to Launchy's catalog and set the file types to be *.* and *.html.
    I've tried rescanning the catalog multiple times but none of my bookmarks are showing up.  What am I doing wrong?

• bege

bege - 2010-09-07

Why don't you just do as explained in the help file (readme.pdf in the launchy program folder):

Firefox 3 stores bookmarks in a locked database that Launchy can't access.  To
    enable Launchy to scan your Firefox bookmarks, please type “about:config” in
    your Firefox url bar, find the entry “browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML” and
    double click on it to set it to “true”.  Close the tab and rebuild your Launchy
    catalog, and you should have your bookmarks.

• rfast10430

rfast10430 - 2010-09-07

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that before I did what I said I already followed those directions.

Do you have any suggestions as to why that didn't work?

• bege

bege - 2010-09-08

Did you activate the "Weby" plugin and there the Firefox bookmarks? Afterwards reload the catalog.
    I hope this helps.

• rfast10430

rfast10430 - 2010-09-09

The Weby plugin is active and these are the directories in the catalog:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Utilities\
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    C:\Users\Robert\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\febeprof.New

I'm not sure where the Firefox bookmarks file is.  Do I have to make sure that wherever it is located, its directory is in the catalog?

• bege

bege - 2010-09-11

Launchy finds the bookmarks in the standard place, where Firefox stores them. You don't need to add the folder with the bookmarks to your catalog.
    Make sure that the about:config setting mentioned above is correct.
    In Windows XP the folder is C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\.default\ (I hope the English names are correct, my system is German
    Here you must find the bookmarks.html.

I have only enabled weby and in weby the Firefox bookmarks.

It works fine.

If you checked all this and cannot solve the problem I must give up.

• bege

bege - 2010-09-11

Sorry,
    another try for the correct screenshot link

• Fabimon

Fabimon - 2010-09-13

Do you work with different Firefox profiles?
    Please check C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini.
    I think that Weby takes the first line containing "Path=" and extracts the path where to look for the bookmarks.html file.
    Verify that this first entry points to the Firefox profile you use and, as advised by begesf, if it contains the bookmarks.html with the links you expect.
    Also note that, at least under WinXP, Firefox may only (re-)export the bookmarks.html file when closing the application.

• rfast10430

rfast10430 - 2010-09-14

SOLVED!  Thank you both very much. 

It turns out that I had created a second profile in Firefox and have been always using that one, including exporting its bookmarks as an html file.    However the first line containing "Path=" in the profiles.ini was pointing to the default profile directory which, of course, didn't have any html bookmarks file.  So, I just reversed the order the profiles are listed in the .ini file so the first line containing "Path=" points to the directory containing the profile I use (the that contains the bookmarks.html file)  and rescanned the catalog.  Over 3000 bookmark items now are in the catalog! 

Yessssssssssssss!    Thanks again so much!

• jad

jad - 2011-11-26

I'm a Palemoon user and couldn't get Launchy to open my bookmarks. I followed all the steps (about:config>exporting to html, correct path located in catalog, so on) but no matter what it just wasn't working.  My solution was to uninstall Launchy, download Firefox and install the Xmarks add-on to Firefox (to keep my bookmarks synced b/w browsers).  Then I imported my Palemoon bookmarks into Firefox through Xmarks.  Then did the whole about:config>export to html thing in my new Firefox then reinstalled launchy.  The default catalog settings in Launchy are all you need for it to read your brand new FF bookmarks.  Just be sure to close Firefox once (so that your bookmarks will be exported in html and Launchy can read them) before you click the "scan catalog" button. Not sure why it wasn't catching my Palemoon bookmarks (since Palemoon is just a simpler version of Firefox) but it's solved now.

The only reason I uninstalled Launchy was to get the default catalog back.  I'd really messed with the catalog "directories" area  just trying to get it to see my Palemoon bookmarks, ha.  If you have Xmarks on both your Palemoon and FF, or even Chrome for that matter I guess, it should be easy to keep your bookmarks synced for Launchy to read them from FF.

• J. Ledvina

J. Ledvina - 2011-11-26

user135677, since PaleMoon probably doesn't use Firefox's exact same folder structure to store your data, Launchy can't find your PaleMoon bookmarks. You could have copied your bookmarks html file to the location that Launchy expects to find it:

C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\syi5etouw.default\bookmarks.html

The final profile folder is named by Firefox with 8 random characters plus ".default".  You would also have to create the profiles.ini file in C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\ with the following contents:

[General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1
    [Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=Profiles/syi5etouw.default

You could then create a scheduled task to copy that file every hour or every day, or however often you like. I think it's safe to assume that you would prefer that to having to install Firefox and run it every once in a while so that Xmarks can sync your bookmarks.

Note: on XP, replace "C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Roaming" with "C:\Documents and Settings\<yourusername>\Application Data\"

• no0b13

no0b13 - 2016-12-12

sorry for necro-ing this thread. same issue has arise in the latest firefox (50.0.2) again.
    anyone else facing same problem? been uninstalling/reinstalling/importing/exporting for couple days already.. seems like not much pple using launchy these days