Menu

Change paste key (Ctrl+V) to Shift+Insert

Help
2016-08-20
2023-09-19
  • Florian Fida

Florian Fida - 2016-08-20

Every time i select something from my clipboard history Ditto puts it in the clipboard and then sends a Ctrl+V to the current active window.
    This is fine for most applications but some do strange things like write "^V" or jump to some random position on the screen.
    Things like vim, nano, bash, docker... mostly tools which have been ported to windows or are currently evolving around Microsofts new love for linux.
    But windows also has a history of supporting shift+insert from the old DOS times, so i wanted to use that instead.

i went through the settings (GUI and .settings file) and could not find an option for that.
    Did i miss it? Is it there somewhere?

I figured, that i might have to change that in the source, but i'm pretty lost there...
    Cant even get it to build on VS2015 Community.

Can/Should I Build it on VS2010 Express? (I dont want to download and install the whole thing until i see the chance that it will get me somewhere...)

Are there build instructions published somewhere which i missed?

THX
    Flo

• Maloney

Maloney - 2016-08-23

Look at this file to setup custom keys per app file:///C:/Users/sbrogden/Desktop/Tools/Ditto/Help/DittoCustomKeys.htm

As far as building in express 2010, i'm not sure, I've never tried any of the express versions. As long as they support c++ and mfc they should work. You can try upgrading the project to 2015 to get it to build in 2015. The reason i keep it building in 2010 is to support xp.

scott

• Florian Fida

Florian Fida - 2016-08-27

I did not manage to upgrade the project to VS2015 - but i did not have to. While reading the source i found out that i just have to make a small change to Ditto.settings (using the Portable version).

[Ditto]
    DefaultPasteString=+{INS}

So, despite what others may say, the source code is the only complete documentation of a project :)
    Thanks for such a nice tool and for keeping it open source.
    Really appreciate that!

Flo

• Wenlong Dai

Wenlong Dai - 2023-09-19

you are a life saver.

• Petars

Petars - 2018-03-22

What about full version? Cant find anything in registry .

• zhangnew

zhangnew - 2018-08-24

For Installed Version:

• Start - Run, enter regedit.
      • Browse to "HKCU\Software\Ditto\PasteStrings"
      • Add a string value of your application name, must be the full name, ex: notepad.exe
      • Enter the key stroke to send , like "+{INS}" mean SHIFT+INSERT

For Portable Version:

• Open Ditto.Settings in xcopy folder
      • Add text to [PasteStrings] ini section
        example :
        [PasteStrings]
        SomeApp.exe=^y

Last edit: zhangnew 2018-08-24
  • RainrooM

RainrooM - 2018-08-24

...So, despite what others may say, the source code is the only complete documentation of a project :) ...

@Florian, see also:
    - https://sourceforge.net/p/ditto-cp/wiki/Custom%20Key%20Strokes/
    - Info has also been for long time in Ditto Help Subfolder after download under "DittoCustomKeys.htm" :-))